Pancake day is here and we thought we'd share this easy peasy recipe for little chefs. Super fluffy and fast to make, they are a perfect cosy half term activity.
Jon is chief pancake maker in our house and swears by the following recipe (more akin to American pancakes than traditional):
Simple pancake recipe:
(Makes approx 8 small rounds)
Butter for frying
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup milk
For decorating - Fresh fruit (sliced strawberries, bananas, oranges, blueberries), dried fruit (apricots and raisins), cereal (Cheerios), treats (buttons, sprinkles, round biscuits), spreads (chocolate, peanut butter, honey) - anything goes!
• Sieve flour into bowl and add the egg
• Whisk with an electric mixer, gradually adding the milk
• Heat a pan with some butter until it sizzles
• Scoop approx a third of a cup of batter onto pan and turn down to medium heat
• Once air bubbles appear it should be ready to flip
• Cook for another minute or so until golden and slide onto plate
• Decorate with cut up fruit to create cute faces
Pop decorations in bowls on table for little ones to get hands on making all sorts of funny creatures. It's a great opportunity for kids to practice their chopping skills too (toddlers love cutting softer fruits such as bananas with a suitably blunt knife).
Have fun and happy pancake day!
ps. Don't forget to share your creations with us #buddyandbear